Consumer Protection Lawyers in Miami, Florida
Identity theft. Harassing debt collections. Phone scams. Mail scams. Online scams. Auto dealer fraud. Broken warranties and promises. Failure of companies to deliver on their goods and services. The modern consumer landscape poses a range of challenges. Even the savviest consumers have, from time to time, fallen prey to scams, fraud, or have suffered losses due to broken warranties or promises when making a purchase. Whether you’re ordering a product online, buying a used car, facing late-night debt collection calls (or harassing debt collection calls), or have fallen victim to a phone scam or identity theft, it can be very difficult to know what to do, especially if you have lost money or suffered other losses. The process of rebuilding your credit, your finances, and your trust can take time. Ignacio J. Hiraldo is a consumer protection lawyer in Miami, Florida who protects victims who have suffered due to phone scams, internet fraud, or unfair debt collection practices.
The U.S. has a range of consumer protection laws in place designed to protect the consumer from deceptive and fraudulent practices. Some of these laws protect your privacy, other laws protect your credit, and some laws are in place to protect you from fraudulent or deceptive business practices. If you have suffered damages due to a breach of privacy, fraud, deceptive business practices, or if you have a dispute about a warranty, contract, or other claim, you may be entitled to seek damages for your losses. You may also have the right to report the situation to the Federal Trade Commission. Ignacio J. Hiraldo is a consumer protection lawyer in Miami, Florida who assists consumers who have lost money, lost out on credit, suffered damaged reputations, or who have suffered identity theft due to a business or an individual’s violation of U.S. consumer protection laws.
Key Consumer Protection Laws You Should Know
In many situations consumers are vulnerable to fraud, scams, and other deceptive business practices. What are some key consumer protection laws you should be aware of? Here are a few:
- When you purchase a product or a service, such as a car, an appliance for your home, or if you hire a contractor to repair your roof, you may sign a contract, or the person or company may make certain warranties or promises. If a company fails to honor its warranties or promises to you, you may be entitled to seek damages. For example, if your roof repair was guaranteed but then you later suffer a leak, the contractor may be responsible for repairing or replacing the damaged roof. If a company claims that a product has a lifetime warranty, the company may be required to honor this warranty or claim. If you have suffered a loss due to a breach of warranty or contract, consider speaking to Ignacio J. Hiraldo, a consumer protection lawyer in Miami, Florida today.
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Are you receiving harassing debt collection calls? Are you being pressured to pay debts you cannot afford to pay? Under the Fair Debt Collection Act, you are protected from harassment from debt collectors. If a debt collector is pursuing a debt, they must prove in writing that they own the debt. Furthermore, debt collectors are not permitted to use threatening or abusive language or make unwanted calls to a person’s place of work, or to make calls after hours. If you have been receiving threats, unwanted calls, or other harassment from a debt collector, you have the right to ask the debt collector to stop. In some cases, victims of unfair debt collections have pursued cases in court, seeking damages for lost money due to deceptive debt collection practices. Ignacio J. Hiraldo is a consumer protection lawyer in Miami, Florida who may be able to assist you if unfair debt collection practices have caused you damages or losses.
- Credit Reporting. Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, consumers have the right to request a free credit report from the major credit reporting agencies once every year, free of charge. It is wise to check your report once every year because sometimes there may be false or inaccurate information on your report that can impact your credit score and that can impact the interest rates you might receive for a mortgage, credit card, or auto loan. Additionally, regularly checking your credit report helps you identify potential red flags, like identity theft. You have the right to dispute inaccurate or incomplete information on your credit report.
- Identity Theft. When consumers suffer from identity theft, their personal information can be stolen so that thieves can open credit cards in the victims’ name. Criminals can sometimes use stolen information to access bank accounts or commit crimes in your name. When you provide your sensitive information to a business or other party, that business and party has a responsibility to protect this information. If you have suffered losses due to identity theft or due to a data breach at a company you trusted, you may be entitled to seek damages through either a class action lawsuit or pursue a business or individual in small claims court. Ignacio J. Hiraldo is a consumer fraud lawyer in Miami, Florida who may be able to assist you.
- Individuals have the right to avoid unwanted telemarketer or robocalls from companies and scammers. However, many people report getting many unwanted calls from scammers and companies. One way to prevent these types of calls is to put yourself on the national “do not call” list. You can report any violation of this to the FTC. However, sometimes individuals fall prey to scams due to robocalls. The consumer fraud attorneys at Ignacio J. Hiraldo may be able to assist you in seeking damages if you have fallen victim to a telemarketing scam, or if you made a purchase over the phone and suffered a loss as a result.
If you believe your consumer rights have been violated, you may be able to seek damages either through a class action lawsuit or by taking a business or individual to small claims court. Ignacio J. Hiraldo is a consumer protection lawyer in Miami, Florida who can review the details of your situation, help you understand your rights, and assist you in pursuing your case, if appropriate.
Fight for Your Rights
If you are the victim of a scam, unfair debt collection practices, or have suffered identity theft or other losses, you have the right to report the scam to the FTC. You also may have the right to pursue a lawsuit or join a class action lawsuit if a company violated its warranties, failed to deliver on goods and services, or if a company’s data breach resulted in financial damages or identity theft. Consumer protection laws are designed to protect your rights, but the FTC often receives far more complaints than it can reasonably pursue. Often, it is up to the consumer to protect themselves or to fight back when they suffer losses. Ignacio J. Hiraldo is a consumer protection attorney in Miami, Florida who may be able to assist you if you have suffered financial losses, had your identity stolen, or suffered other losses as a result of another company or individual’s violation of consumer protection laws. Contact us today to learn more.